Meet Scott LaMunyon, Class of 2022

Scott LaMunyon (headshot)

Scott is a 1L who is originally from Kansas. Find out what TV show helped him find his passion for law, and why he chose Chicago-Kent after working in higher education admissions and recruitment. Scott also gives advice on the transition to law school and the best ways to experience Chicago. 

Student Profile

• Class year: 2022
  • Division: Full-time Day
  • Hometown: Towanda, KS
  • Academic background: Bachelor’s Degree in Psychological Sciences from Kansas State University
  • LinkedIn

What drew you to the legal profession and law school?

When I was in college and had no idea what I wanted to do, the show How to Get Away with Murder premiered and I was immediately hooked. While the show takes a lot of liberties to add drama, it led me to a trial advocacy class taught by a military prosecutor and I found my passion for the law. Through this, my other pre-law classes, and internships, I was given incredible experiences and knew that law school was the right path. 

I was able to argue—and win—a mock criminal trial in front of a panel of actual judges on a military base. Another time I worked with a Supreme Court case from the current docket and won in front of judges ruling as the current Justices would have. These experiences helped me learn and grow toward my passion and plans in law. 

What stood out about Chicago-Kent?

My undergrad experience was very student-focused and had an incredible family atmosphere, which were two reasons I chose the college that I did. After graduating, I spent a couple of years working as a recruiter for my alma mater and was able to remain in that amazing atmosphere, while helping other prospective students experience the same thing. When I decided it was time to start looking at law schools, Chicago-Kent was the only place I visited that had the same student-focused, family atmosphere that I was used to and was easily the perfect fit for me. 

Are you focusing your studies on a particular area of law or pursuing a certificate?

While I’m not entirely sure what specific type of law I want to practice, I do know that I want to live and practice overseas. I am mostly considering IP law, either in copyright or trademark, entertainment law, or labor and employment law. Whatever legal route I take, though, I will be pursuing the International and Comparative Law Certificate

Student Involvement

What is your top advice for incoming law students?

Always be open to new experiences, but don’t overcommit yourself. Finding things to be involved in is important in helping you create a network and figure out your interests, but law school is unlike anything you’ve experienced before and it’s important to find a balance that works for you. 

Beyond Law School: Get to Know Scott

What do you do to relax outside of school?

I am currently on a club volleyball team and play every weekend, which is a great way to take a break from reading or studying and have some time to just be active and have fun. I also enjoy reading and working on my French, which is another way to take a break from law school while still learning and doing something I enjoy. 

Chicago is home to an incredible theatre scene and catching a show is one of my favorite things to do, whether it’s at a local theater like the Steppenwolf or through Broadway in Chicago

What neighborhood do you live in? What do you like about it? 

I live in Lakeview East and I absolutely love it! It’s one of my favorite neighborhoods and has so much to offer. There are so many great restaurants and things to do. I also love all of the people and different experiences you can encounter every day. My commute to school is usually only 30 minutes or so, which makes it easy to get to Kent but still allows me to spend time outside of West Loop when I’m not in class. 

What is your favorite way to enjoy Chicago? 

The best way to enjoy Chicago is through the food and drinks. There are so many incredible local restaurants, bars, and coffee shops to choose from, many of which offer their own unique experience of Chicago. I try to find a new coffee shop to study at or a new restaurant to eat at every week. This helps me find new favorite places and keeps me from getting stuck in a rut or bored with the same places or experiences. 

Some of my favorites so far are Happy Camper in Wrigleyville, Heritage Outpost in West Loop, and Stone Creek Coffee in Lakeview East.