Meet Jo Ann Dominguez, Class of 2021

Jo Ann Dominguez

Jo Ann Dominguez is a student in our evening division who came to the law school with years of experience as a senior legal analyst in the cybersecurity field. In addition to working full time and taking classes, she’s also found time to contribute as a student leader in our CyberSecurity and Data Privacy Society, where she can share her industry perspective with other students.

Student Profile

• Class year: 2021
  • Division: Part-time evening
  • Hometown: Chicago
  • Academic Background: B.A., double major in Economics and Political Science, University of Illinois at Chicago
  • Social media: LinkedIn

What stood out about Chicago-Kent?

When I was looking at law schools, Chicago-Kent stood out to me for several reasons. I was impressed with the law school’s long list of awards and accolades for moot court, trial advocacy and writing program.

I was also impressed by the faculty at Chicago-Kent. The law school is home to so many interesting and accomplished faculty members, and I feel privileged to be learning from some of these professors.

Do you have a favorite professor or class that has confirmed or changed your goals in coming to Chicago-Kent?

Professor Richard Wright is one of my favorite professors. I was so impressed with his deep knowledge of torts and the law, but even more so with his unbridled passion and dedication to it. Although I do not plan on practicing in this area, he confirmed my desire to learn the law and be just as passionate and dedicated to it as he is.

Legal Experience & Student Leadership

• Director and Senior Legal Analyst, Trustwave
  • Law Clerk, Nottage and Ward
  • CSDPS (Cyber Security and Data Privacy Law Society) – Vice President, 2018-2019

What made you want to get involved in the CSDPS student organization?

Cybersecurity is a hot topic in today’s digital world. The law surrounding cybersecurity and data privacy is being created and evolving every day, both in the United States and worldwide.

I wanted to help highlight this industry for other students who may be unsure about what area of law they want to practice. Lawyers who understand cybersecurity and data privacy, and the associated risks, are and will continue to be in high demand.

Beyond Law School

What are some skills or interests people might not guess about you?

I am really good at video games. In fact, I have a standing video game night with my best friend once a week after class!

What is your favorite way to enjoy Chicago?

My favorite way to enjoy Chicago is to walk around different neighborhoods to explore all they have to offer. Chicago is such a diverse city, and there are hidden gems everywhere waiting to be discovered!

Author: Emily Barney

Technology Training & Marketing Librarian